Thursday, November 5, 2009

Phillip K. Dick

It seems that the author likes to write about normal people, and put them in strange situations. He doesn’t really pay attention to really develop his characters though. You don’t know a lot about them or their backgrounds. You just kind of get thrown into the story, which confused me in the beginning because I had no idea of what was going on.
The writing actually feels very realistic due to the fact that he puts these normal everyday people in these realistic futures. For example, the story I read was about the machine operated factory’s that were taking over the world. It was a very long story so I wasn’t able to read all of it. I was only 5 pages away from finishing it though.
But anyways,
the reason it seems like it could actually happen is because the author uses actual machinery from today. He just technically advances it a bit more so that its futuristic. And when we talked about his different stories, it seemed to me that the recurring underlying theme is that everything is out to get the main persona. Which makes sense, because the author is quite paranoid. That’s pretty much what I got from this tale. And I do find his writing quite interesting, its not to hard to read, yet it gets confusing at times. I’m thinking of reading a scanner darkly. I have watched the movie, but didn’t really pay attention to it, sooo that will probably be the next novel I’ll read.

No comments:

Post a Comment